Breast Cancer Awareness Month: Best Natural Beauty Products
For many of us, October signals the beginning of Fall, pumpkin-flavored foods and fun costumes, but it’s also an important month for Breast Cancer. October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, an international health campaign led by major charitable organizations to raise awareness and funding for breast cancer research.
In honor of this annual health campaign, we’ve compiled a list of natural and safe beauty products that are awesome if you’re going through treatment or if someone you know has been diagnosed. Beauty products may not necessarily be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of cancer, but a luxurious lotion or sweet-smelling facial oil is a great way to practice self-care. The tricky part is finding something that will make you feel good, without irritating the skin - especially in a market saturated with chemical-heavy products, which have been found to be linked to certain diseases (such as cancer).
The following list of products have been verified as safe and non-toxic by the Environmental Working Group, so patients can have extra comfort and reassurance while using them:
- Facial Cleanser - Just the Goods’ lightly foaming face wash is entirely vegan and specially formulated for normal-to-sensitive skin. Its organic ingredients include castile soap and kaolin clay, lauded for their ability to absorb impurities, as well as Palmarosa essential oil, which provides antiseptic and hydrating properties without irritating skin.
- Moisturizer - ATTITUDE Daily Body Moisturizer is a hypoallergenic and cruelty-free product that boasts a rich texture, pure ingredients and the ability to strengthen the skin against bacteria, dirt and UV rays -- all while keeping it nourished and healthy.
- Bath Soak - Qet Botanicals Blooming Tea Bath (An Afternoon in Paris) is a decadent product and great way to pamper yourself! Best of all, it’s infused with a rich bouquet of lavender flowers, jasmine flowers and rose petals that give it a sweet smell without harsh chemical fragrance. Other organic ingredients include colloidal oats for their softening properties, Epsom salt for toxin elimination and Dead Sea salt for muscle relief
- Cleansing Oil - Aromatic Natural Coconut Oil is a 100% organic and virgin cold-pressed coconut oil that nourishes, hydrates and cleanses the skin. The addition of lavender, almond and sunflower oil also imbues this product with calming and anti-aging properties. It can also double as a natural makeup remover that’s super gentle and effective on sensitive skin.
- Lip Balm - Do Naturals Lip Balm is a super affordable, all-natural vegan formula that’s not greasy in its consistency, but still has the ability to soften and moisturize the skin.
For more information, visit the Environmental Working Group’s website to search more than 70,000 products, or download a free PDF guide on choosing safer personal care products here.
In addition to natural beauty products, those who wish to get more involved with Breast Cancer Awareness Month can also check out the limited-edition breast cancer gown that Giftgowns designed in collaboration with the Canadian Cancer Society. With every purchase, 10% is donated to the organization to fund high-quality research, prevention, and care. Giftgowns is also accepting donations that will go towards providing breast cancer patients with their very own gown.